Questions UK, Tuesday, 9th August 2011
You might also want to check Frequently Asked Questions
We often get asked about questions from customers about the technologies behind stormmq.
We’ve previously answered some of the common ones, but here’s a list of more we’ve received.
Well why not? Message queues allow you to move from the SQL ‐> Database ‐> File System model and into the network layer by offering:–
- Logical decoupling
- Physical decoupling
- Temporal decoupling
If you already have a distributed system, located in several locations, then the jump to the cloud is more of a quick step.
AMQP is not the only MQ protocol. It currently has a very small portion of the market. However, it is the only one that is open and, with the new AMQP 1‧0 standard, the most progressive. It is poised to grow significantly. AMQP is an open, interoperable and reliable standard.
- The Deutsche Börse uses AMQP to provide the EUREX exchange with risk and position monitoring features
- JPMorgan Chase & Co sends 1 billion AMQP messages per day
- The Ocean Observatories Initiative infrastructure uses sensor nets with AMQP to bring readings ashore from ocean platforms and a global pub‐sub network to disseminate readings.
- The control plane of NASA’s Nebula Cloud Computing.
- Mozilla’s Pulse, their in‐house eventing and pub‐sub bus.
- INETCO Insight, used for real‐time business transaction monitoring
- Smith Electric Vehicles uses stormmq to monitor the world’s largest electric vehicle fleets.
“AMQP is a good fit for cloud MaaS and other wide‐area, Internet‐based messaging purposes, because it defines the wire protocol and communication semantics without restricting the details of the messaging system implementation or the API. AMQP’s goal is to enable interoperability among disparate vendors’ platforms.” Roy Schulte, Gartner, Review of AMQP and Other Protocol Options, 2011
How interoperable are the different AMQP vendors?
I often get asked and challenged on the claims that AMQP is a truly interoperable protocol.
We can provide guarantees that will allow you to switch to another AMQP provider should you wish to do so. The whole idea and raison d’etre of AMQP is to give clients choice. Choice means competition. And competition means lower prices as the market commoditises.